Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Walkout or Walk up


Today's tea was a medium unsweet tea courtesy of Hardees. It doesn't make a very pretty picture. So I opted for this one instead. Spring is just about here, folks. I've been caught up in a lot of chiropractor visits and haven't taken a lot of time to write. I miss it.

I guess today was National School Walkout Day. I say that because I heard about it, but didn't give it much thought. I mean students leaving school to demand stronger gun control or honoring the victims of the latest Florida school shooting? I'm not sure exactly what they expected to happen. So I was a little surprised to learn that it was today when I walked into the office this morning. Luckily, my principal was on the ball. She sent out an email informing us what to tell the students and what to do and not to do. Then when she realized a lot of students were inquiring about it, she made an announcement before class started.

I figured that would be the end of it. It was in my class. We were taking our end of unit test. Since 10:00 was the walkout time and this was during homeroom, I had my students watching a short video before we made a new seating chart where they picked their seat. No one even mentioned walking out.

Later in the day, I heard a couple of students decided to walkout anyway. I really don't see what good it did. That's when I started thinking about what would make a difference. I read about a Walk-up movement. Students are encouraged to walk up to those kids that are left out, not chosen for group activities,  someone you normally wouldn't talk to. These are the kinds of things that may do some good. I do want to note, that someone attempting this should be completely sincere. I can just imagine what it's like to be sitting by yourself all the time and then someone comes up to visit with you. I'd be a little suspicious. Let's think back to the movie "Carrie".  But if done with real sincerity and continued, I think it could make a difference.

My superintendent send out an email about a talk he had at the high school. Some students participated in a 17 minute event today. He encouraged those students to tell someone if they hear of threats, to treat each other with respect and compassion. Although they don't have to be friends with everyone, they can be friendly to everyone. I can't tell you if these things are going to make a difference or not. I do think Walk-up and being friendly have a better chance of changing our immediate surroundings than a Walkout. I'm wondering if the students will remember any of this tomorrow or next week. I guess remains to be seen. Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment