Sunday, February 4, 2018

What Game?


I made 2 perfect loaves of bread last night. Now this is the 3rd time I've made bread in the past few months and the first time both loaves have come out of the pans looking like, well, real bread. My secret?  Two metal loaf pans. The first 2 times I used one metal pan and one glass pan.


I baked this batch for the Super Bowl game tonight. In all honesty I really don't care about the game. It just seemed the thing to do. In fact, I'm not really a big football fan. At the same time, I'm not one of those girls who can't understand the game, either.

From the time I was eight years old and on my family would watch football games on the weekends. Now this was back in the days when there was one television in a house with three stations and the parents controlled what channel it was on. I may have been a channel changer (the remote for you youngsters), but I followed orders on which way to rotate that knob.

In more recent times, I had the NFL channel. It was during a show on this station that I realized that I don't believe using the wildcard is completely fair for the playoffs. And I had no idea that it had been going on even when I was turning channels for my parents. My son liked to have the NFL channel on at weird times. Personally, I got tired of hearing "Michael Vick, Michael Vick, Michael Vick". And why oh why does this channel keep going after the Super Bowl? To talk about trades for next season. Get me out of this Twilight Zone! So a few months ago I removed the NFL channel and many other channels from my satellite subscription. And I didn't miss it.


Combine the lack of access to football talk with mainstream talk about kneeling during the national anthem and I ended up not wanting to watch football at all. I get what they were trying to do by kneeling and I personally feel that football players and people in general should not get publicity for being disrespectful. But that's what happened. The more they did this kneeling, the more people talked about it. And it soured me on watching any NFL football game. A friend told me they quit showing the national anthem and that didn't make me feel any better about the games.

Don't get me wrong; I still have a favorite team. (They aren't doing so well this season.) But I haven't watched a game all year. And yet here I am gearing up for the Super Bowl. In the interest of being completely honest, I didn't make my bread for the Super Bowl. I made it to go with my pot roast.
So who knows what time the Justin Timberlake concert starts tonight? :D


No comments:

Post a Comment